Google Tag

Friday 7 April 2017

The Breretons - Keep You Safe



The Sugarbush label had a tremendous 2016 and 2017 is proving even better. Keep You Safe is an absolute revelation. I listen to so many harmonies and riffs that it's refreshing to hear something so mellow and magnetic.

The Breretons are based around brother and sister, Marc and Charlotte Brereton. It's easy to note them down as Folk, the album will appeal though to Buckingham Nicks or Laura Marling fans. Charlotte's voice is simply stunning.





The nearest comparison I can think of is Christine McVie, but at times Annie Haslam springs to mind. It's not all about the female vocal though, when Marc takes his turn, I'm reminded of John Martyn.

His vocal on Locked Up rocks the six piece up a bit and is accompanied by a great background vocal that is very Fleetwood Mac. Fake could be Kris Kristofferson and Rita Coolidge. I Think I May, I Think I Might could be Sandy Derry era Fairport Convention.






The album is at it's best though when it gets moody and Charlotte's voice is at the forefront, particularly on Beat and When We Were Young. That Voice is truly a splendid thing, wonderfully broody.

I'm not sure that I would have listened to this if it had not appeared on Sugarbush. The label has such a mark of quality now that I will automatically play anything that is released. I'm so glad that I did, Keep You Safe is a beautifully made album. I can't wait to hear more in the future.






You can buy the album here.



No comments:

Post a Comment